Is It Possible to Sell my Home in North Carolina with Judgements?

Selling property in Durham County is never easy. There are a lot of factors that you need to consider, such as marketing, staging, fees, and most especially paperwork. 

If you want to sell your house with judgments in Durham County,  let us tell you now that it might be more difficult. However, it is not impossible.  

Read on to know more about selling with debtor liens legally while keeping the lienholder happy. However, do note that if you have any concerns about your lien, it is still best to seek legal advice. 

What is a judgment lien?

Judgment liens are placed on your property title by the court of law to satisfy an unsecured debt. In North Carolina, and especially in Durham County, a judgment lien can be attached to real estate only. 

Some liens fall under state law. Others are managed federally.

These involuntary types of liens by court order might include those for:

  • Property tax liens
  • Child support
  • Bankruptcy proceedings
  • Damages you paid for a personal injury or personal property lawsuit
  • Other court judgments

Can I sell my property with judgments in Durham County?

Yes, you can sell your property with judgments in Durham County. But most homebuyers expect the title report to come back clean. So you’ll need to be upfront about the property lien and have a plan for how you’ll address it. 

How long does a judgment lien last?

This varies per state, as judgement liens do expire. In North Carolina, a judgment lien will remain attached to the debtor’s property (even if the property changes hands) for ten years. 

It is also useful to keep in mind that a creditor’s ability to collect under a judgment lien will be affected by a number of factors — including a fixed amount of value that won’t be touchable if the property is the debtor’s primary residence (called a homestead exemption), other liens that may be in place, and any foreclosure or bankruptcy proceedings. If things get complicated, you may want to talk with an experienced North Carolina bankruptcy and debt attorney to help you sort out any lien issues.

How do I get a judgment lien removed from my property?

Generally, you must pay the old debt to get rid of the judgment lien on your Durham County house. Then you can sell your property without a claim appearing during a title search.

Can I sell my house “As-Is”?

Certain buyers may be willing to buy the real property as-is. This means they are willing to assume the responsibility for your judgment liens. In return, you reduce your price to account for the cost they’re taking on.

Can judgement be paid at closing?

Yes, this can be arranged. If your Durham County home must stand good for this bad debt when you close, all of the proceeds don’t go from escrow to your bank account at the sale of the property. Per the court ruling, it goes straight to the debtor, whether it’s your primary residence or a rental property.

I want to sell my house fast in Durham, NC. Is there an easier way?

There are buyers who are in the business of helping those who need to sell a home with a judgment, like a cash home buyer. 

Jolific Homes is a no-nonsense house buying company that offers cash for properties in Durham County, NC. If you need to sell your house fast in Durham County, NC for cash, we’re local home buyers serious about buying your house. No repairs, no inspections, no agents, no fees, no commissions.

Our process does not involve getting pre-qualified by a bank in order to obtain a mortgage loan to purchase your property or wasting your time listing the property on the MLS, Zillow,, or any other listing platforms.

To find out more about our unique and alternative ways to sell your house fast in Durham County, NC for cash, call us today: (919) 867-4463.

Interested in selling your home?

Get a cash offer on your home now!
Please fill out the form below and we’ll contact you shortly.

Buy My House!

Tell us a little about your property and we will reach out to you shortly to schedule your walk-thru.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we’ll contact you shortly.